The supply of premises and land is critical for local economic development and town and country planning policies. A poor supply of premises and land are identified as a key constraint by firms in almost all locations, together with the environment, security, and the need for accessibility. Consultants at PACEC have worked extensively with local authorities and the property sector to review the demand for and supply of sites and reviewed some of the major UK property initiatives, for example, MetroCentre, London Docklands, Enterprise Zones.
The new local development framework system will require up to date evidence for consultation and policy formulation.
- Research on property needs of firms and constraints
- Forecasts of demand for floorspace and land
- Balance of demand and supply for land
- Environmental appraisal
- Feasibility on workspace for incubation and growth
- Science and technology park reviews
- Measures to stimulate the property sector
- Joint working with the property sector
Examples of Projects
- Local Authority Employment Land Reviews / Local Area Frameworks: Leicestershire (all districts), Croydon, Uttlesford, Bexley, and Greenwich.
- Croydon Borough Council: Review of land availability for manufacturing, and demand for floorspace, as part of UDP preparation.
- Wandsworth Borough Council: Review of strategic sites for major developments as part of inward investment strategy, and the UDP preparation and the economic development strategy.
- LDA. Thames Gateway: Development Framework. Overall strategy and Action Plan for core areas of boroughs of Bexley and Greenwich. Major review of site availability for employment and housing and steps required to encourage development.
- Local Authority major site reviews:
- Manchester: Central Area / Northern Quarter sites
- Bristol: UDC Policy Framework for key sites
- Leeds: Central Area sites for offices
- Essex: Review of all major sites for Structure Plan
- Kent: Review of all major sites in Structure Plan and economic impact
- Property and Workspace Feasibility Studies:
- Northampton Innovation Centre
- Colchester Software Park
- Tower Hamlets: Workspace for computing firms
- Bexley Innovation Centre
- East Sussex: Enterprise hubs